is a topic covered in the Pocket ICU Management
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Genetic or acquired marrow disorder with reduction in all marrow cellular elements
- Technically, a pancytopenia
- ParvoB19 virus only causes erythrogenic aplasia
- Marked reduction in CD34 cells responsible for committed progeny and stem cells
- Qualitative and quantitative dysfunction of the hematopoietic progenitors unresponsive to hematopoietic growth factors
- Fatty infiltration in marrow
- Not a disease of stromal elements of marrow
- Acquired cases are felt to be autoimmune from T-cell destruction of all primitive cell lines, much like other autoimmune disorders.
- There is a close relationship of aplastic anemia with AML and myelodysplasias.
- Common etiologies include:
- Toxicity from medications (chloramphenicol, antineoplastic drugs)
- Chemicals (benzene, organophosphates, chlorinated hydrocarbons)
- Viral infections (EBV in 4-6 wks; HIV, HHV-6 and their related drugs, parvoB19 virus)
- Pregnancy, post-liver transplant, GVHD post-transfusion
- Congenital disorders are usually associated with childhood syndromes such as Fanconi’s anemia, Pearson’s syndrome, Diamond-Blackfan syndrome, familial aplastic anemia.
- Acquired disorders predominate over congenital causes.
- Eosinophilic fasciitis: autoimmune, connective tissue disorder with aplastic anemia and painful swelling, induration of skin/subcutaneous fascia
- Minimal response to therapy, antibody-mediated, rare disorder
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --