is a topic covered in the Pocket ICU Management
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Notification Procedures in the Event of a Bioterrorist Incident
- First call the Public Health Officer at your local health department; after hours contact local Health Director via 911.
- If no answer at local health department, call the State Communicable Diseases Branch or CDC.
- CDC emergency assistance number 770-488-7100
- California Department of Health Services for information, botulism immune globulin (24-h telephone: 510-540-2646)
- If criminal activity is suspected, call your local law enforcement and the FBI.
- Botulinum toxin as a bioterrorism agent: CDC Category A agent -- easily disseminated, high mortality, public panic, special measures
- Botulinum toxin poses a major bioweapon threat because of its extreme potency and lethality; its ease of production, transport, and misuse; and the need for prolonged intensive care among affected persons (JAMA 2001;285:1059-1070)
- Aerosols were dispersed at multiple sites in downtown Tokyo, Japan, and at U.S. military installations in Japan on at least 3 occasions between 1990 and 1995 by the Japanese cult Aum Shinrikyo.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --