is a topic covered in the Pocket ICU Management
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Does pt have respiratory problems that require emergent attention?
- Non-intubated pt seeking the "tripod" position
- Stridor, hoarseness, drooling, difficulty swallowing
- Tachypnea, labored respiration
- Acidosis, hypoxia, relative hypercarbia
- Wheezing, decreased breath sounds, shortness of breath
- Does pt have evidence of circulatory shock?
- Systolic BP < 90 mmHg, heart rate >100/min
- Mottled skin, delayed capillary fill, weak pulses
- Altered mental status, seizures
- Does pt have new skin findings?
- Angioedema of tongue, uvula, face (lips, periorbital) or neck
- Urticaria anywhere on body
- Does pt have new GI complaints such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or diarrhea?
Contact dermatitis: inflammation of skin by agent(s).
- Two major classes:
- Irritant contact dermatitis such as concentrated acid or base
- Common irritants in ICU: soaps, detergents, chronic wetness
- Time of onset: immediately after exposure
- Location: typically limited to directly exposed areas
- Appearance: erythema, edema, vesicles & ulcers
- Allergic contact dermatitis:
- Common cause is plant exposure (poison ivy); others include preservatives in topical meds, nickel sulfate, formaldehyde, many others possible.
- Time of onset: often 24-72 hrs after exposure (requires prior sensitization)
- Location: areas exposed to direct contact
- Appearance: linear w/ erythema & vesicles (often w/ intense itching)
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --