First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Genetic or acquired marrow disorder with reduction in all marrow cellular elements
- Technically, a pancytopenia
- ParvoB19 virus only causes erythrogenic aplasia
- Marked reduction in CD34 cells responsible for committed progeny and stem cells
- Qualitative and quantitative dysfunction of the hematopoietic progenitors unresponsive to hematopoietic growth factors
- Fatty infiltration in marrow
- Not a disease of stromal elements of marrow
- Acquired cases are felt to be autoimmune from T-cell destruction of all primitive cell lines, much like other autoimmune disorders.
- There is a close relationship of aplastic anemia with AML and myelodysplasias.
- Common etiologies include:
- Toxicity from medications (chloramphenicol, antineoplastic drugs)
- Chemicals (benzene, organophosphates, chlorinated hydrocarbons)
- Viral infections (EBV in 4-6 wks; HIV, HHV-6 and their related drugs, parvoB19 virus)
- Pregnancy, post-liver transplant, GVHD post-transfusion
- Congenital disorders are usually associated with childhood syndromes such as Fanconi’s anemia, Pearson’s syndrome, Diamond-Blackfan syndrome, familial aplastic anemia.
- Acquired disorders predominate over congenital causes.
- Eosinophilic fasciitis: autoimmune, connective tissue disorder with aplastic anemia and painful swelling, induration of skin/subcutaneous fascia
- Minimal response to therapy, antibody-mediated, rare disorder
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 10, 2010
"Aplastic Anemia." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534037/all/Aplastic_Anemia.
Aplastic Anemia. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534037/all/Aplastic_Anemia. Accessed June 6, 2023.
Aplastic Anemia. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534037/all/Aplastic_Anemia
Aplastic Anemia [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 June 06]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534037/all/Aplastic_Anemia.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Aplastic Anemia ID - 534037 Y1 - 2010/05/10/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534037/all/Aplastic_Anemia PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -