Intra-anesthetic Problems - Hypertension
is a topic covered in the Clinical Anesthesia Procedures
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Catecholamine excess may be seen with inadequate anesthesia, especially during laryngoscopy, intubation, incision, emergence, hypoxia, hypercarbia, patient anxiety, pain, and prolonged tourniquet use.
- Preexisting disease such as essential hypertension or pheochromocytoma.
- Increased intracranial pressure
- Systemic absorption of vasoconstrictors such as epinephrine and phenylephrine.
- Aortic cross-clamping which leads to a significant increase in SVR.
- Rebound hypertension from discontinuation of clonidine or β-adrenergic blockers.
- Drug interactions. The administration of ephedrine to patients receiving tricyclic antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline, nortriptyline, doxepin) and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (e.g., isoniazid, rasagiline, selegiline) may cause an exaggerated hypertensive response.
- Bladder distention
- Administration of indigo carmine dye (via an α-adrenergic effect).
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Pino, Richard M., editor. "Intra-anesthetic Problems - Hypertension." Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, 9th ed., Wolters Kluwer, 2019. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728242/all/Intra_anesthetic_Problems___Hypertension.
Intra-anesthetic Problems - Hypertension. In: Pino RM, ed. Clinical Anesthesia Procedures. 9th ed. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728242/all/Intra_anesthetic_Problems___Hypertension. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Intra-anesthetic Problems - Hypertension. (2019). In Pino, R. M. (Ed.), Clinical Anesthesia Procedures. Available from https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728242/all/Intra_anesthetic_Problems___Hypertension
Intra-anesthetic Problems - Hypertension [Internet]. In: Pino RM, editors. Clinical Anesthesia Procedures. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. [cited 2019 October 22]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728242/all/Intra_anesthetic_Problems___Hypertension.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Intra-anesthetic Problems - Hypertension
ID - 728242
ED - Pino,Richard M,
BT - Clinical Anesthesia Procedures
UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728242/all/Intra_anesthetic_Problems___Hypertension
PB - Wolters Kluwer
ET - 9
DB - Anesthesia Central
DP - Unbound Medicine