Anesthesia for Cardiac Surgery - Preoperative Assessment for Cardiac Surgery
is a topic covered in the Clinical Anesthesia Procedures
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
pertinent to the cardiac procedure
Issues pertinent to the cardiac procedure and the physiologic impact of CPB and circulatory arrest include the following:
- Prior surgery in the chest, which technically complicates surgery
- Evidence of aortic and cerebrovascular disease—symptomatic or documented carotid arterial disease may warrant endarterectomy beforehand. Aortic disease can affect cannulation strategies for bypass and may sometimes require concomitant repair with the cardiac operation.
- History of bleeding, anticoagulation regimens, and prothrombotic tendencies may reveal a condition responsive to perioperative therapy.
- A history of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) alerts to the potential for the development of life-threatening thrombotic complications when exposed to heparin. See section on anticoagulation for cannulation and bypass for management of patients with HIT.
- Renal insufficiency may indicate the need for intraoperative renal protective measures.
- Patients with pulmonary disease can develop severe post-CPB pulmonary dysfunction and may benefit from preoperative antibiotics, bronchodilators, steroids, or chest physical therapy.
- Liver dysfunction (e.g., cardiac cirrhosis) may indicate derangements in coagulation and platelet function and the need for transfusion of coagulation factors, platelets, and fibrinogen.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Pino, Richard M., editor. "Anesthesia for Cardiac Surgery - Preoperative Assessment for Cardiac Surgery." Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, 9th ed., Wolters Kluwer, 2019. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728514/all/Anesthesia_for_Cardiac_Surgery___Preoperative_Assessment_for_Cardiac_Surgery.
Anesthesia for Cardiac Surgery - Preoperative Assessment for Cardiac Surgery. In: Pino RM, ed. Clinical Anesthesia Procedures. 9th ed. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728514/all/Anesthesia_for_Cardiac_Surgery___Preoperative_Assessment_for_Cardiac_Surgery. Accessed April 19, 2019.
Anesthesia for Cardiac Surgery - Preoperative Assessment for Cardiac Surgery. (2019). In Pino, R. M. (Ed.), Clinical Anesthesia Procedures. Available from https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728514/all/Anesthesia_for_Cardiac_Surgery___Preoperative_Assessment_for_Cardiac_Surgery
Anesthesia for Cardiac Surgery - Preoperative Assessment for Cardiac Surgery [Internet]. In: Pino RM, editors. Clinical Anesthesia Procedures. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. [cited 2019 April 19]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728514/all/Anesthesia_for_Cardiac_Surgery___Preoperative_Assessment_for_Cardiac_Surgery.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Anesthesia for Cardiac Surgery - Preoperative Assessment for Cardiac Surgery
ID - 728514
ED - Pino,Richard M,
BT - Clinical Anesthesia Procedures
UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/ClinicalAnesthesiaProcedures/728514/all/Anesthesia_for_Cardiac_Surgery___Preoperative_Assessment_for_Cardiac_Surgery
PB - Wolters Kluwer
ET - 9
DB - Anesthesia Central
DP - Unbound Medicine