Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- egg lecithin
- soy lecithin
- Hepatic steatosis.
- Alzheimer's dementia.
- Tardive dyskinesia.
- Improving athletic performance.
Lecithin is a phospholipid found in egg yolks, organ meats, nuts, and spinach. It contains phosphatidylcholine, which contains choline which is a precursor to acetylcholine. Lecithin also increases omega-6 fatty acid levels.
- Decreased cholesterol levels.
- As a source of choline, lecithin may improve symptoms of cholinergic diseases.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Egg and soy allergy.
Use Cautiously in:
Pregnancy and lactation (when using amounts greater than found in foods).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Derm: skin reactions (in soy and egg allergic patients)
GI: diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
PO (Adults): Hypercholesterolemia –20–30 g/day. Athletic performance –3.6 g twice daily. Tardive dyskinesia– 20–50 g/day. Mania– 10 mg three times daily. Dementia– 1.2–45 g/day.
- Assess mental status and memory periodically during therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor liver function tests prior to and periodically during therapy.
- Deficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO Administer 1 to 3 times daily.
- Instruct patient to take lecithin as directed.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Decrease in serum cholesterol.
- Improvement in signs and symptoms of cholinergic diseases.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Complete Product Information.