Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Lavandula angustifolia
hair regrowth stimulants
- Alopecia areata.
Lavender decreases EEG potentials and decreases alertness and seems to induce relaxation and sedation. Lavender's stimulant effect on hair growth is not fully understood.
- Improved hair growth.
- Improved sleep.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Use Cautiously in:
- Children (topical use in prepubertal boys may result in gynecomastia).
- Discontinue use 2 wk prior to elective surgical procedures (additive CNS depressant effects with anesthetic agents).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Derm: dermatitis (with topical use)
GI: constipation, increased appetite
Endo: gynecomastia (with topical use in prepubertal boys)
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
Lavender can potentiate the therapeutics effects of barbiturates, and CNS depressants..
PO (Adults): Depression –60 drops/day tincture of lavender (1:5 in 50% alcohol) for 4 weeks.
Topical (Adults): Alopecia areata– 3 drops (108 mg) of lavender oil.
Inhaln (Adults): Insomnia– vaporized lavender oil has been used as aromatherapy.
- Assess mood and sleep pattern periodically during therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor lipid levels and coagulation panel periodically during therapy.
- Sleep deprivation (Indications)
- PO Diluted tincture may be taken in alcohol or tea.
- Topical Combine with other essential oils and massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption.
- Instruct patient to dilute and take as directed. Undiluted essential oil of lavender may be poisonous if taken by mouth.
- Instruct patient in correct technique for use for alopecia.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Improvement in sleep pattern and mood.
- Reduction of alopecia.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drugs, procedures, and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and PRIME Journals. Complete Product Information.