Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- thymus polypeptides
allergy, cold and cough remedies
- Respiratory infections.
- Allergic rhinitis.
- Food allergies.
Thymus extract is derived from bovine thymus glands. It induces T-lymphocyte maturation, stimulates T-cell proliferation, enhances mature T-cell function and has indirect effects on macrophages and B-cell functions. It also reduces airway hyperresponsiveness to methacholine in atopic asthma patients.
- Improved immune function.
- Reduced acute asthma attacks.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Immunocompromised patients should only use products that are certified pathogen-free to reduce the risk of infection from diseased animal parts.
Use Cautiously in:
Pregnancy and lactation.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Misc: Potential risk of contamination from diseased animal parts.
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
Avoid use with immunosuppressants unless products are certified pathogen-free.
PO (Adults) 750 mg/day of crude thymus polypeptide fraction or 120 mg/day of pure thymus polypeptides (thymomodulin).
- Assess symptoms of cold or allergies related to the purpose thymus extract is being taken.
- Risk for infection (Indications)
- PO Administer as recommended.
- Discuss with patient purpose for taking thymus extract.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Improvement in symptoms of cold or allergic rhinitis.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Complete Product Information.