First Things First (assess for & treat the following):
- Observe & describe clinical presentation of seizure
- See “History & Physical” section
- Determine if status epilepticus
- Continuous seizure or recurrent seizures without recovery of consciousness
- Officially, lasting >30 min, but practically, lasting >5 min
- See “History & Physical” and “Specific Treatment” sections
- Protect pt from injuring self (esp. head and limbs)
- Consider etiology of seizure(s), e.g., hypoglycemia, drug withdrawal, head trauma
- Support ABCs
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 3, 2010
"Seizures." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534005/all/Seizures.
Seizures. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534005/all/Seizures. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Seizures. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534005/all/Seizures
Seizures [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534005/all/Seizures.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Seizures ID - 534005 Y1 - 2010/05/03/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534005/all/Seizures PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -