Common Street Drugs: Cannabis
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) responsible for most effects
- Usually results in euphoria, relaxation, increased visual & auditory sensations. Large doses may result in diminished motor coordination, lethargy, sedation.
- Acute intoxication usually resolves uneventfully within 8 hrs.
- “Illy” is a form of marijuana cigarette treated w/ phencyclidine (PCP) & formaldehyde to enhance euphoric effect. May result in visual hallucinations, disorientation, agitation. Pts may be unaware of adulteration.
- Maintain airway patency; support w/ oxygenation & ventilation if necessary.
- Initiate cardiac monitoring.