Tracheostomy and Percutaneous Enteral Feeding Tubes
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Once used primarily for emergency mgt of upper airway obstruction; has evolved into an elective, bedside procedure in pts requiring prolonged ventilatory support.
- Open tracheostomy (OT): open procedure performed at bedside or in OR. Allows direct visualization of trachea during cannulation.
- Percutaneous dilational tracheostomy (PDT): alternative to OT; can be performed at bedside or in OR. Seldinger technique used for tracheal dilatation & tracheostomy tube placement.
- Percutaneous enteral feeding tubes
- Enteral nutrition is an important component in the mgt of critically ill pts.
- Percutaneous enteral access developed as an alternative to laparotomy for feeding tube placement (eg, open gastrostomy & open jejunostomy).
- Percutaneous enteral feeding tubes encompass a variety of techniques
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG)
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrojejunostomy (PEGJ)
- Percutaneous radiologic gastrostomy (PRG)