Tracheostomy and Percutaneous Enteral Feeding Tubes
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Once used primarily for emergency mgt of upper airway obstruction; has evolved into an elective, bedside procedure in pts requiring prolonged ventilatory support.
- Open tracheostomy (OT): open procedure performed at bedside or in OR. Allows direct visualization of trachea during cannulation.
- Percutaneous dilational tracheostomy (PDT): alternative to OT; can be performed at bedside or in OR. Seldinger technique used for tracheal dilatation & tracheostomy tube placement.
- Percutaneous enteral feeding tubes
- Enteral nutrition is an important component in the mgt of critically ill pts.
- Percutaneous enteral access developed as an alternative to laparotomy for feeding tube placement (eg, open gastrostomy & open jejunostomy).
- Percutaneous enteral feeding tubes encompass a variety of techniques
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG)
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrojejunostomy (PEGJ)
- Percutaneous radiologic gastrostomy (PRG)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 13, 2010
"Tracheostomy and Percutaneous Enteral Feeding Tubes." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534018/all/Tracheostomy_and_Percutaneous_Enteral_Feeding_Tubes.
Tracheostomy and Percutaneous Enteral Feeding Tubes. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534018/all/Tracheostomy_and_Percutaneous_Enteral_Feeding_Tubes. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Tracheostomy and Percutaneous Enteral Feeding Tubes. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534018/all/Tracheostomy_and_Percutaneous_Enteral_Feeding_Tubes
Tracheostomy and Percutaneous Enteral Feeding Tubes [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534018/all/Tracheostomy_and_Percutaneous_Enteral_Feeding_Tubes.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Tracheostomy and Percutaneous Enteral Feeding Tubes ID - 534018 Y1 - 2010/05/13/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534018/all/Tracheostomy_and_Percutaneous_Enteral_Feeding_Tubes PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -