First Things First (assess and treat for the following)
- Always attend to the ABCs as the first priority.
- Is the airway patent?
- Is there evidence of respiratory distress?
- Hemodynamic status, hypotension, tachycardia, evidence of shock?
- Does the patient have any electrolyte abnormalities that require immediate attention?
- K < 2.5 or > 6; Na < 120 or > 150; ECG abnormalities
- Severe metabolic acidosis (pH < 7.2)
- Assess volume status: hypervolemic, euvolemic or hypovolemic
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.