Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess and treat for the following)
- Always attend to the ABCs as the first priority.
- Is the airway patent?
- Is there evidence of respiratory distress?
- Hemodynamic status, hypotension, tachycardia, evidence of shock?
- Does the patient have any electrolyte abnormalities that require immediate attention?
- K < 2.5 or > 6; Na < 120 or > 150; ECG abnormalities
- Severe metabolic acidosis (pH < 7.2)
- Assess volume status: hypervolemic, euvolemic or hypovolemic