Extremity and Orthopedic Injuries
First Things First (assess and treat the following)
- Follow ATLS/ABCs:
- Primary Survey – quantify obvious injuries and “plug” holes; perform orderly exam (head to toe, front to back, left to right); log roll all patients; assess and provisionally cover open wounds; order/obtain x-rays of injured limbs along with trauma series
- Secondary Survey – more detailed examination of patient; diagnose the non-obvious orthopaedic injury; obtain correct x-rays; palpate every bone, move every joint
- Potential orthopaedic emergencies (life- and/or limb-threatening) to be recognized early:
- Unstable pelvic fracture associated w/ hemodynamic instability
- Extremity injury w/ vascular injury
- Acute compartment syndrome
- Open fracture
- Joint dislocation
- Septic arthritis/acute osteomyelitis in clinically septic patient
- Acute spinal cord injury/neurologic compromise w/ associated spine fracture
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 5, 2010
"Extremity and Orthopedic Injuries." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534067/all/Extremity_and_Orthopedic_Injuries.
Extremity and Orthopedic Injuries. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534067/all/Extremity_and_Orthopedic_Injuries. Accessed May 31, 2023.
Extremity and Orthopedic Injuries. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534067/all/Extremity_and_Orthopedic_Injuries
Extremity and Orthopedic Injuries [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 May 31]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534067/all/Extremity_and_Orthopedic_Injuries.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Extremity and Orthopedic Injuries ID - 534067 Y1 - 2010/05/05/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534067/all/Extremity_and_Orthopedic_Injuries PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -