Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- If patient is in cardiac arrest, treat per ACLS.
- Presence of an ICD does not preclude external defibrillation.
- If hemodynamically unstable tachycardia and the ICD is not effective, proceed with external defibrillation.
- Do not place external electrodes directly over the ICD.
- Provide CPR without hesitation but wear gloves to decrease sensation of internal shocks (not a health risk but uncomfortable).
- After hours, call device reps for assistance:
- Guidant/Boston Scientific: 1-800-227-3422
- Medtronic: 1-800-878-5616
- St. Jude Medical: 1-800-722-3423