Closed Head Injuries
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following):
- Ensure airway and breath sounds.
- Ensure IV access and perfusion.
- What is the current neuro status?
- Determine Glasgow Coma Score (GCS); see “History and Physical” section
- Serial neuro exams
- Action for deteriorating exam
- Lateralizing findings (ie, hemiparesis; suggest surgical lesion)
- Hypoxic or hypotensive?
- Correct ASAP to prevent further ischemia.
- Intubation if GCS 8 or less
- Maintain O2 sat >90%.
- Maintain SBP >90 mmHg (increased mortality for each hypotensive or hypoxic episode).
- C-spine protected?
- Frequent co-injury w/ traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Other injuries are difficult to identify & treat in TBI pts.