Common Street Drugs: MDMA (Ecstasy)
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Amphetamine derivative that is psychogenic & hallucinogenic
- Results in catecholamine increase along with massive serotonin release
- Often co-ingested w/ other drugs of abuse, resulting in mixed toxidromes
- Effects include sense of euphoria, enhanced socializing, verbosity, increased sexual interest.
- MDMA toxicity results in increased autonomic activity, including tachycardia, HTN, hyperthermia, mydriasis.
- Cardiac monitoring & treat significant cardiac dysrhythmias.
- Treat HTN & tachycardia w/ benzodiazepines.
- Promptly treat severe hyperthermia w/ appropriate cooling measures.