Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess for & treat the following)
- Does pt have any electrolyte abnormalities that require immediate attention?
- Serum Na < 120 or >150 mEq/L
- K < 2.5 or >6.0 mEq/L
- pH < 7.1
- Does pt have evidence of shock?
- Severe hypovolemia or CHF (volume overload)
- Does pt have a “new” pericardial rub, ECG changes or evidence of cardiac tamponade?
- Is pt acutely encephalopathic or actively seizing?