Graft-Versus-Host Transplant Immunology
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- 50% of allogeneic BMT patients develop acute or chronic graft versus host disease (GVHD) of variable severity.
- GVHD = donor’s bone marrow attacks the patient’s organs and tissues, leading to organ dysfunction and a worsened immunocompromised state
- Acute GVHD usually develops < 100 days after allogeneic BMT.
- Chronic GVHD usually develops >100 days after allogeneic BMT.
- The incidence of both types of GVHD increases with patient age.