Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia
is a topic covered in the Pocket ICU Management
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- VAP = pneumonia that develops >48 hours after initiation/onset of intubation and mechanical ventilation
- VAP is the leading cause of death amongst hospital-acquired infections, exceeding the rate of death due to central line infections, severe sepsis, and respiratory tract infections in the non-intubated patient (www.ihi.org).
- Hospital-associated pneumonia (HAP) accounts for up to 25% of all ICU-associated infections and for >50% of the antibiotics administered in the unit.
- VAP prolongs time spent on the ventilator, length of ICU stay, and length of hospital stay after discharge from the ICU (www.ihi.org).
- VAP adds an estimated cost of $40,000 to a typical hospital admission (www.ihi.org).
- Therefore, prevention of VAP is more efficacious than treatment!
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: May 5, 2010
"Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia.
Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. Available from https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia
Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2019 October 22]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia
ID - 534135
Y1 - 2010/05/05/
BT - Pocket ICU Management
UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia
PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc
DB - Anesthesia Central
DP - Unbound Medicine