First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- VAP = pneumonia that develops >48 hours after initiation/onset of intubation and mechanical ventilation
- VAP is the leading cause of death amongst hospital-acquired infections, exceeding the rate of death due to central line infections, severe sepsis, and respiratory tract infections in the non-intubated patient (www.ihi.org).
- Hospital-associated pneumonia (HAP) accounts for up to 25% of all ICU-associated infections and for >50% of the antibiotics administered in the unit.
- VAP prolongs time spent on the ventilator, length of ICU stay, and length of hospital stay after discharge from the ICU (www.ihi.org).
- VAP adds an estimated cost of $40,000 to a typical hospital admission (www.ihi.org).
- Therefore, prevention of VAP is more efficacious than treatment!
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 5, 2010
"Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia.
Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia. Accessed November 28, 2023.
Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia
Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 November 28]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia
ID - 534135
Y1 - 2010/05/05/
BT - Pocket ICU Management
UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534135/all/Prevention_of_Ventilator_Associated_Pneumonia
PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc
DB - Anesthesia Central
DP - Unbound Medicine