is a topic covered in the Pocket ICU Management
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First
- Decision to start treatment is based on epidemiologic and clinical findings.
- Do not wait for diagnostic test results to come back before initiating treatment, or else you might wait days, thereby losing precious time and delaying potentially life-saving treatment.
- The most virulent of the bugs are R. rickettsii, which causes Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and R. prowazekii, which causes epidemic typhus.
- Before antibiotic era, mortality was 25%.
- Current mortality is 3-5%, attributable to incorrect diagnosis or delayed antibiotic treatment.
- Survey the skin to look for the tick bite.
- The classic trio is:
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a misnomer. Cases have been reported in every state except Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, and Vermont.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: April 30, 2010
"Rickettsial Diseases." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534155/all/Rickettsial_Diseases.
Rickettsial Diseases. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534155/all/Rickettsial_Diseases. Accessed October 16, 2019.
Rickettsial Diseases. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. Available from https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534155/all/Rickettsial_Diseases
Rickettsial Diseases [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2019 October 16]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534155/all/Rickettsial_Diseases.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Rickettsial Diseases
ID - 534155
Y1 - 2010/04/30/
BT - Pocket ICU Management
UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534155/all/Rickettsial_Diseases
PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc
DB - Anesthesia Central
DP - Unbound Medicine