Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Is nephritic syndrome present?
- Severe acute inflammation injury to glomerulus
- Decreased renal function
- Hematuria with RBC casts
- Proteinuria 1-2 g/24 hr
- Fluid retention
- Is rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis (RPGN) present?
- Nephritic syndrome AND
- Doubling of creatinine in < 3 months AND
- Glomerular crescents on renal biopsy
- If untreated, progresses to ESRD in weeks to months
- This is a medical emergency!
- Is nephrotic syndrome present?
- Due to increase in glomerular permeability
- There is SEVERE glomerular injury; not unusual to present w/ decrease in renal function early in disease.
- >3.5 mg protein/24 hrs
- Decreased albumin, edema and hypercholesterolemia
- Are there signs & symptoms of acute renal failure requiring dialysis (see Acute Kidney Injury)?