Care of Patient Following Thoracic Surgery
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First
- Obtain report of surgical procedure and any intraoperative complications.
- Obtain report of intraoperative arterial blood gases (ABG) on single- & double-lung ventilation, and overall fluid balance (intake & output).
- Review history for pulmonary pathology, preoperative pulmonary function test, cardiac function, other organ dysfunction.
- Set initial mechanical ventilation settings along with minimal sedation, if applicable.
- Obtain a portable CXR and ABG to ascertain device placement and gas exchange, respectively.
- Initiate antibiotic coverage, prophylactic and/or therapeutic.
- Determine postoperative analgesic plan.