First Things First
- Obtain report of surgical procedure and any intraoperative complications.
- Obtain report of intraoperative arterial blood gases (ABG) on single- & double-lung ventilation, and overall fluid balance (intake & output).
- Review history for pulmonary pathology, preoperative pulmonary function test, cardiac function, other organ dysfunction.
- Set initial mechanical ventilation settings along with minimal sedation, if applicable.
- Obtain a portable CXR and ABG to ascertain device placement and gas exchange, respectively.
- Initiate antibiotic coverage, prophylactic and/or therapeutic.
- Determine postoperative analgesic plan.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: April 13, 2010
"Care of Patient Following Thoracic Surgery." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534193/all/Care_of_Patient_Following_Thoracic_Surgery.
Care of Patient Following Thoracic Surgery. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534193/all/Care_of_Patient_Following_Thoracic_Surgery. Accessed December 6, 2023.
Care of Patient Following Thoracic Surgery. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534193/all/Care_of_Patient_Following_Thoracic_Surgery
Care of Patient Following Thoracic Surgery [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 December 06]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534193/all/Care_of_Patient_Following_Thoracic_Surgery.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Care of Patient Following Thoracic Surgery
ID - 534193
Y1 - 2010/04/13/
BT - Pocket ICU Management
UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534193/all/Care_of_Patient_Following_Thoracic_Surgery
PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc
DB - Anesthesia Central
DP - Unbound Medicine