ICU Management of Hypertension
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Hypertension (HTN), as described by JNC VII, is BP >140/90 on more than one occasion. Hypertensive urgency is severe HTN (typically systolic >180 or diastolic BP >120) without symptoms or end-organ damage (ie, without evidence of CNS, CV, renal or retinal dysfunction).
- Hypertensive emergency: an acute, life-threatening event requiring immediate treatment
- Textbook definition: diastolic BP >140 accompanied by end-organ damage
- The rate of increase in BP can be just as important as absolute BP numbers, particularly in previously normotensive pts.
- Malignant hypertension is a subtype of HTN emergency, with findings typically focused on the eye.
- HTN encephalopathy is another subtype of HTN emergency centering on cerebral edema and its associated findings.
- Differential includes:
- Essential HTN
- Renal (acute glomerulonephritis, vasculitis, renal artery stenosis)
- CNS (head injury, hemorrhage)
- High catecholamine states (pheochromocytoma, drug ingestions such as cocaine & amphetamines, rebound HTN from stopping antihypertensives, tyramine ingestion with MAO inhibitors & postop HTN)
- Miscellaneous (medicine noncompliance, severe burns, severe pain, or autonomic dysfunction from spinal cord injury or Guillain-Barre syndrome)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: April 23, 2010
"ICU Management of Hypertension." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534201/all/ICU_Management_of_Hypertension.
ICU Management of Hypertension. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534201/all/ICU_Management_of_Hypertension. Accessed May 29, 2023.
ICU Management of Hypertension. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534201/all/ICU_Management_of_Hypertension
ICU Management of Hypertension [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 May 29]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534201/all/ICU_Management_of_Hypertension.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - ICU Management of Hypertension ID - 534201 Y1 - 2010/04/23/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534201/all/ICU_Management_of_Hypertension PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -