First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- According to Poison Control Center for 2005, responsible for 60 deaths.
- Apply ABCs as appropriate; cardiac pacing or treatment with chronotrope/inotrope may be needed.
- Beta blockers inhibit calcium channel opening, resulting in hallmark toxicity of bradycardia, hypotension and conduction abnormalities.
- They also antagonize sodium fast channels, causing QRS prolongation.
- B1 subunit found in kidney, myocardium and eye. Blockade results in decreased conduction and contraction.
- B2 subunit found in smooth muscle, skeletal muscle and pancreas. Blockade results in vasoconstriction, bronchospasm and hypoglycemia.
- B3 subunit is involved in lipid metabolism.
- Most beta blockers have peak effects in 1-4 hours; exceptions are extended-release preparations and sotalol.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: April 9, 2010
"Beta-Blocker Overdose." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534215/all/Beta_Blocker_Overdose.
Beta-Blocker Overdose. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534215/all/Beta_Blocker_Overdose. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Beta-Blocker Overdose. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534215/all/Beta_Blocker_Overdose
Beta-Blocker Overdose [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534215/all/Beta_Blocker_Overdose.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Beta-Blocker Overdose ID - 534215 Y1 - 2010/04/09/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534215/all/Beta_Blocker_Overdose PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -