First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- This chapter will address viral hemorrhagic fever (VHF), defined as a febrile illness associated with bleeding diathesis caused by specific hemorrhagic fever virus (HFV) families.
- The classic VHF presentation includes fever, skin rash, myalgias, and encephalitis.
- Because of the nonspecific presentation, must maintain a high index of suspicion to make the diagnosis.
- Supportive treatment is the primary mode of management.
- Ribavirin therapy may have a role for some HFVs but has not been well studied and is not approved by the U.S. FDA.
- Human-to-human transmission most commonly occurs by direct contact with blood or body fluids, so isolation of suspected VHF patient is imperative.
- Health care workers should maintain strict barrier precautions and airborne precautions if available.
- Contact local public health officials if you suspect the diagnosis.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 2, 2010
"Hemorrhagic Fever." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534229/all/Hemorrhagic_Fever.
Hemorrhagic Fever. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534229/all/Hemorrhagic_Fever. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Hemorrhagic Fever. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534229/all/Hemorrhagic_Fever
Hemorrhagic Fever [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534229/all/Hemorrhagic_Fever.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Hemorrhagic Fever ID - 534229 Y1 - 2010/05/02/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534229/all/Hemorrhagic_Fever PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -