Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess for and treat the following)
- Definition: platelet count of < 150 x 109/L. In the case of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT), a 50% reduction in platelet count is also considered significant.
- Is patient actively bleeding?
- Is patient about to undergo surgery or an invasive procedure?
- Is patient at risk for spontaneous bleeding?
- If so, see “General Management Principles” section.