Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis
First Things First (assess for and treat the following)
- Definition: platelet count of < 150 x 109/L. In the case of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT), a 50% reduction in platelet count is also considered significant.
- Is patient actively bleeding?
- Is patient about to undergo surgery or an invasive procedure?
- Is patient at risk for spontaneous bleeding?
- If so, see “General Management Principles” section.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 4, 2010
"Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534242/all/Heparin_Induced_Thrombocytopenia_and_Thrombosis.
Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534242/all/Heparin_Induced_Thrombocytopenia_and_Thrombosis. Accessed May 31, 2023.
Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534242/all/Heparin_Induced_Thrombocytopenia_and_Thrombosis
Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 May 31]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534242/all/Heparin_Induced_Thrombocytopenia_and_Thrombosis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis ID - 534242 Y1 - 2010/05/04/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534242/all/Heparin_Induced_Thrombocytopenia_and_Thrombosis PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -