Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Bradycardia = ventricular rate < 50-60 bpm
- Can be normal (sinus bradycardia)
- Can be abnormal
- Sinus node dysfunction
- Conduction block
- Assess hemodynamic status:
- Is pt hypotensive?
- Is there evidence of tissue hypoperfusion?
- Evaluate for CHF.
- Evaluate for active ischemia.
- If any of the above are yes, then the pt is unstable & requires immediate treatment per ACLS.
- Treatment of SYMPTOMATIC bradycardia
- Atropine (anticholinergic): 0.5-1 mg
- Isoproterenol (beta agonist): 2-10 mcg/min
- Temporary pacing
- Transcutaneous pacing
- Transvenous pacing
- Epinephrine: 2-10 mcg/min
- Dopamine: 5-20 mcg/min