First Things First (assess & Treat For The Following)
- Assess and treat the ABCs
- Primary manifestation of benzodiazepine intoxication/overdose is mental status depression; in severe cases, cardiorespiratory depression may also occur.
- Aggressive/expectant airway management for frank/anticipated inadequacy of protective airway reflexes
- Supine/Trendelenburg positioning and aggressive IV fluid therapy for hypotension
- GI decontamination
- Activated charcoal 1 g/kg PO or per NG tube is effective in most cases if administered early.
- Initiate gastric lavage for clinically significant recent ingestions (ie, within 30 minutes).
- Ensure/monitor airway patency/protective reflexes during the above treatments.
- Further therapy and immediate considerations
- Supportive care is the cornerstone of treatment.
- Evaluate for possible flumazenil administration, especially in life-threatening intoxications.
- Evaluate for other toxin/CNS depressant involvement and initiate appropriate diagnostic/treatment plans.
- Consider IV naloxone in setting of mixed overdose/intoxication (will not reverse benzodiazepine-induced cardiorespiratory depression).
- Evaluate for the specific benzodiazepine ingested/administered, in particular to determine its half-life. Shorter half-life benzodiazepines are associated with increased morbidity/mortality.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: April 9, 2010
"Benzodiazepine Overdose." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534254/all/Benzodiazepine_Overdose.
Benzodiazepine Overdose. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534254/all/Benzodiazepine_Overdose. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Benzodiazepine Overdose. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534254/all/Benzodiazepine_Overdose
Benzodiazepine Overdose [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534254/all/Benzodiazepine_Overdose.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Benzodiazepine Overdose ID - 534254 Y1 - 2010/04/09/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534254/all/Benzodiazepine_Overdose PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -