Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Shock present?
- Airway protection intact?
- Other diagnoses present (ACS, sepsis, pancreatitis, etc.)?
- Establish cause:
- Infection (>30%): pneumonia, UTI, cellulitis, fungal sinusitis, perirectal abscess, necrotizing fasciitis
- Insulin issues (20-35%): missed doses, pump malfunction, undertreatment
- Interfering medications: thiazides, -blockers, glucocorticoids, protease inhibitors
- Glucose containing IV fluids, total parenteral nutrition (TPN)
- Dietary non-compliance