First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- This chapter will deal primarily with human infection with avian influenza A (H5N1) virus.
- Classic presentation of avian influenza (AI): teenager with severe pneumonia that progresses rapidly to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Risk factor for AI is handling of sick poultry within a week of illness onset, although AI has been reported in areas without a known population of affected poultry.
- Human-to-human transmission of AI is rare.
- Use full barrier precautions (standard, contact, airborne, and eye protection) for patients with suspected or confirmed AI (H5N1).
- N95 mask has a tight fit.
- Consider higher level of respiratory protection, such as powered air-purifying respirator, for procedures with significant aerosol generation such as tracheal intubation.
- Contact local public health officials if you suspect the diagnosis.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 11, 2010
"Bird Flu." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534259/all/Bird_Flu.
Bird Flu. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534259/all/Bird_Flu. Accessed May 31, 2023.
Bird Flu. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534259/all/Bird_Flu
Bird Flu [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 May 31]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534259/all/Bird_Flu.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Bird Flu ID - 534259 Y1 - 2010/05/11/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534259/all/Bird_Flu PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -