Common Street Drugs: Ketamine
Anesthesia Central is an all-in-one web and mobile solution for treating patients before, during, and after surgery. This collection of drug, procedures and test information is derived from Davis’s Drug, MGH Clinical Anesthesia Procedures, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic that is a shorter-acting & less potent alternative to structurally related PCP.
- Has become a drug of abuse for its hypnotic & mood-altering properties
- High doses may result in respiratory depression.
- Maintain airway patency; support w/ oxygenation & ventilation if necessary.
- Rapid sequence intubation if hypoxic or severe respiratory depression
- Tachycardia & severe HTN may occur (usually most severe in pts taking thyroid replacement therapy).