First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Hyperglycemia occurs in critically ill patients regardless of history of diabetes mellitus.
- Complications of hyperglycemia
- Volume depletion
- Impaired erythropoiesis
- Endothelial dysfunction
- Increased secretion of pro-inflammatory mediators
- Potential consequences of untreated hyperglycemia
- Decreased kidney function
- Critical illness polyneuropathy
- Respiratory failure
- Increased mortality
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.