First Things First (assess & treat for the following)
- Identify dissection vs. transection.
- Perform ABCDEs for all traumatic injuries of the aorta.
- Primary and secondary survey to identify and catalog all other associated injuries
- For aortic dissection, identify acute vs. chronic.
- Hemodynamically stable vs. unstable
- Famous victims:
- King George II of Great Britain
- Liese Prokop, Austrian Interior Minister and Olympic silver medalist
- Lucille Ball, actress
- Ted Bessell, actor
- Flo Hyman, volleyball player
- Jonathan Larson, composer of Rent
- John Ritter, actor
- Richard Biggs, actor
- Mike Wieringo, American comic book artist
- Jim Murray, American sportswriter, Los Angeles Times, 1961-1998
- Dr. Michael E. DeBakey
- Devised the surgery to correct aortic dissection and many other cardiovascular and vascular techniques
- Noted to be the oldest patient ever to receive his own operation
- He was 97 at the time of surgery on Feb. 9/10, 2006.
- He survived and had severe myopathy from deconditioning; with help from physical therapists. he was able to return to a full day’s work until his death from natural causes on July 11, 2008.
- Daniel Dennett, American philosopher
- Gerard Houllier, former manager of Liverpool Football Club and Olympique Lyonnais
- Jose Miguel Arroyo, spouse of Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
- Dr. Michael E. DeBakey
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: April 17, 2010
"Aortic Dissection/Transection." Pocket ICU Management, PocketMedicine.com, Inc, 2010. Anesthesia Central, anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534183/all/Aortic_Dissection_Transection.
Aortic Dissection/Transection. Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534183/all/Aortic_Dissection_Transection. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Aortic Dissection/Transection. (2010). In Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc. https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534183/all/Aortic_Dissection_Transection
Aortic Dissection/Transection [Internet]. In: Pocket ICU Management. PocketMedicine.com, Inc; 2010. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534183/all/Aortic_Dissection_Transection.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Aortic Dissection/Transection ID - 534183 Y1 - 2010/04/17/ BT - Pocket ICU Management UR - https://anesth.unboundmedicine.com/anesthesia/view/Pocket-ICU-Management/534183/all/Aortic_Dissection_Transection PB - PocketMedicine.com, Inc DB - Anesthesia Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -